A nipple ring is an attractive and discrete choice for body piercing, but anyone who is considering a new nipple ring should be aware of all the available varieties. Nipple rings can be made of several different materials and in many styles. Although nipple piercings are usually horizontal, they can also be vertical or at any other angle through the nipple. In addition, non-piercing nipple rings are available for those who are looking for a temporary option.
Nipple rings can be made from several different materials, but gold, sterling silver, surgical steel and Bioplast are the most common. Following are facts about the leading materials for nipple rings:
• Gold – Gold is a standard for all types of body jewelry, but it can be prohibitively expensive, especially because gold under ten karats cannot be used.
• Sterling silver – Sterling silver at a 0.925 purity level is commonly used for nipple rings, but professional body piercers do not recommend it for piercings that are not fully healed. This is because it can cause permanent discoloration of the skin and tissue. To get around this problem, sterling silver is commonly used for end caps, chains and charms on a surgical steel or Bioplast barbell.
• Surgical steel – Surgical steel is, perhaps, the most popular material for nipple rings. It is inert, holds a shine and requires little care.
• Bioplast – Bioplast is a relatively new material for body jewelry. It is a flexible plastic that is biochemically inert and able to withstand heat up to 250° F. Bioplast nipple rings are becoming more popular every day because they can reduce healing time, risk of infection and pain caused by bumping the nipple ring while the piercing is healing.
Despite being called nipple rings, most forms of nipple jewelry are actually barbells or barbell variants. Although rings can be used, they are not recommended. Three of the bestselling designs are traditional barbells, nipple shields and non-piercing nipple rings. Details of each follow:
• Barbells – Barbells are, by far, the most popular type of nipple ring. They are usually customized with unique end caps or dangling chains. The chain on dangling nipple rings often holds a charm.
• Nipple shields –Nipple shields are a type of barbell, but they barbell is surrounded by a circular or semicircular design that partially or totally covers the areola.
• Non-piercing – As the name suggests, these types of nipple rings require no piercing. They fit snugly around the nipple, and they come in a variety of designs.